Welcome to NSFI
There are two sentences I clearly remember my ex-best friend saying to me.
The first was when we were 17 - “My mum is being a massive bitch, can I come and stay with you for a while?”
Of course I said yes and she came to live with me and my parents for about 2 months - it was pretty great, it was like living with the sister I’d never had.
It felt like we were already 27, sharing a flat in Chelsea with each other, getting home from our fabulous jobs at PR agencies and discussing which pair of outrageously expensive shoes we would buy for the office Christmas party - when the reality is, we were living in my parents' house in Dunstable and complaining that we had no money or fake ID’s to go out at the weekend.
I thought that my life would be the former and that it was a glimpse into a few years' time where we would be independent, rich and invited to all the cool parties in Soho.
It turns out our lives wouldn’t turn out like that. The second sentence I clearly remember her saying to me was not so great. It was about 2 weeks after she’d left my parents house to move back in with her mum…
“I’ve been going out with Adam, do you mind?”
He was my boyfriend until about 3 weeks before that - we’d been going out for about 2 years.
I said it was fine and I didn’t mind, but it obviously wasn’t and I never spoke to either of them again.
My life is series of events like this, it isn’t being whisked away for breakfast in Paris and being sent makeup by luxury brands - my life is the opposite of an influencer on social media - my life is Not Suitable for Instagram...
Comments
Post a Comment